Whenever I have a dinner party, I try to have at least one of the items on the menu come from the slow cooker. Sure, it's not insanely glamorous but it makes life easier and keeps me sane. Simply transfer it to a glamorous serving dish and you're good. No one will know you're crockpotting it up in the kitchen.
These chicken tacos are really simple and really good. I'd honestly pick this chicken filling over Chipotle any day. Make sure to not overcook it, otherwise you'll need aggressive biceps to get the job done.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6-8 SERVINGS):
- 3-5 boneless chicken breasts (depends on size, you can make it work with 3 large chicken breasts or 5 smaller ones)
- 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning (one packet)
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted garlic tomatoes
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies, undrained
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Taco toppings: cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, etc.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over the chicken.
- Top with diced onion and then pour the canned tomatoes and chilies over everything.
- Take a spatula and evenly spread around the ingredients, making sure the chicken breasts are fully covered on all sides.
- Cover and cook on low for five to seven hours.
- Remove lid from slow cooker and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and keep it warm until you want to serve.