Crispy Slow Cooker Carnitas
Crispy Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 4-6 hours | Serves: 6-8
Ingredients + Tools:
- 1 (4-5 pound) lean boneless pork roast, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 cup beer (or chicken stock)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 TBS chipotle powder (or 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced)
- 2 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP black pepper
- 1 TSP chili powder
- 1 1/2 TSP salt
- Two Baking Sheets
- Slow Cooker
- Add all ingredients to a large slow cooker, and give the mixture a stir to combine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the pork is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- Once the pork is cooked, preheat your broiler to high heat and prepare two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Use a fork to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, and then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the prepared baking sheets, spreading the pork in an even layer and leaving the juices behind in the slow cooker. (Don’t discard the juices, we’re going to use them later!)
- Place one sheet under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the edges of the pork begin browning and crisping up. Remove the sheet from the oven, then ladle about 1/4 cup of the juices from the slow cooker evenly over the pork, and then give it a good toss with some tongs. Broil for an additional 5 minutes to get the meat more crispy. Then remove and ladle an additional 1/4 cup of broth over the crispy pork.
- Repeat with the other baking sheet of pork.
- Serve immediately in tacos, burritos, salads, or whatever sounds good to you!